Tuesday, May 17, 2005

One step closer to extremism

Me, not him. Arizona Republic columnist EJ Montini often finds ways to get my goat. Frankly, that's the sign of a good writer or at least one sign of a good scribe.

To date, my favorite example of Mr. Montini's mindless drivel was a column from 2 or 3 years ago where he attempted to lay blame at the feet of the community for forcing an elderly woman from her home several years earlier so that Bank One Ballpark could be built downtown. This is my new favorite.

Montini takes on the announced initiative for a State Constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman. I don't have a problem with people advocating gay marriage. I personally believe it is a bad idea on several counts, but I will never bash someone for making an honest, good-faith argument for the idea.

This on the other hand, just makes me angry:

On a day when we bury a police officer who gave his life defending the rights of all Arizona citizens, a group of religious political activists is making plans to assure that some citizens are permanently discriminated against.

But the most infuriating line, the one that really sets me off is this, found a bit later on:

Initiatives like this have passed in several states and it'll probably pass here. It doesn't matter that Arizona already outlaws gay marriage. A constitutional amendment appeals to those who have strong religious convictions against homosexuality and to those who simply hate gay people. Between them, etching discrimination into stone is pretty easy.

Such blatant misunderstanding and mischaracterization of people of faith is exasperating. I would defy Mr. Montini to adequately explain what exactly these people with strong religious convictions believe and why they believe it. I don't think he can. In fact, if he can, he can have my house.

Such anger directed at me from people who think they know me but don't, who think it fine to insult me routinely in the way they discuss the subject is doing more to make me what they fear than anything James Dobson, Chuck Colson or Ralph Reed ever could.

I wonder what he'll say when his self-fulfilling prophecy then comes true?

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here