Monday, January 09, 2006

Just an observation

I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to forget all the proclamations about Big Media's superiority over the musings of pajama-clad bloggers. I scoffed then because, well, I read blogs and I could already see in many an instance where a blogger had done the reporter's job and done it better.

Now that I work at a newspaper, I must say I have regained a certain amount of respect for these folks and what they do. Though I must also say that many criticisms of Big Media are plenty valid.

With that in mind, I've made an interesting observation at work in the last week or so. I've spotted one of the junior staff writers reading at lunch the last few days. What, I wondered, was this smart, insightful gal diving into?

Surely something important, something stimulating and provocative. Well, not so much.

Don't get me wrong; I love a good yarn as much as the next guy. Just color me surprised.

Meanwhile, a number of bloggers are pushing this tome. Personally, it's on the reading list for yours truly. Had I had it with me this last week, I'd have read a great deal of it I imagine inbetween family visits and taking care of business. As it was, I picked up a copy of Natan Sharansky's The Case for Democracy, and started in on it while we were in the desert.

This is strictly anecdotal, but it strikes me as awful funny that us pajama-wearin', no-editorial-oversight-havin', head-on-a-bloody-stick-hoisting bloggers are the ones making the attempt at some intellectual weight-lifting.

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here