Saturday, May 20, 2006

Summer Begins

It's effectively been spring since I arrived in my new home. Abnormally warm and dry conditions here made winter seem like spring, and spring is morphing into summer.

But now it's probably summer for good. Today it's supposed to hit 97.

It's been a number of years since I've lived in a climate like this. My memories of summers past had become distant as I adapted to various climates over the last ten years. But when I think of summer, I inevitably think about this "kind" of summer.

Now that I'm living here, this vision is re-awakening as the temperatures climb. Freshly mowed grass. The sound of lawnmowers at 8AM on a Saturday. Open space. House living. Grilling out. Days out at the lake. Water skiing. Fishing. Camping. Driving to 7-11 for more ice with the windows rolled down, blasted by warm air, listening to Richard Ashcroft cranked up on the stereo. A blur of social events in various backyards. A constant bead of sweat on my upper lip....and everywhere else for that matter. Turning the A/C up and then having to turn it down when I get a chill. Impossibly frigid movie theaters.

Last week was the first blurry social event. I cooked the burgers and wept freely in response to the smoke while everyone else partied. Tonight marks Round Two of at least thirty. My eyes will be happy to know that there isn't any smoke in their future. I'm just responsible for the Ninfa's green sauce, the ice and Tequila.

The physical manifestations will be slightly different.

Summer rox.

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here