Wednesday, September 28, 2005

"Whose bright idea was that!?" (Even more from Tales of the Great Unpacking)

As the days go by, I've occasionally been reminded why I was willing to leave California for the desert in 2002. Today was one of those days.

I stopped by my new insurance agent's office this afternoon to review my homeowner's policy with him as well as discussing getting our auto policy converted over from Arizona. And there it was, one of those absolutely ridiculous kinds of things that can only come from the delusional mind of a state law-maker...

Under Section III, so-called "Optional coverages applied," though according to the agent it is mandatory by state-law and built-in to the basic homeowner's policy, is this fun little surprise:

Workers Compensation and Employers Liability

Caught off guard, I asked the agent for clarification. The answer I got stupefied me, and in fact six hours later, still stupefies me.

By state-law, anybody I "hire" or contract with to come onto/into the premises to work (landscaping, housecleaning, etc.) is entitled to make a worker's compensation claim in case of injury under my home-owner's coverage as if I were their employer and my home were there regular place of work. Never minding, that they would have been hired as, essentially, contractors in business for themselves.

Now, I will not pay a huge amount for this but then that is most certainly not the point. Only in Sacramento can someone think that an independent contractor working on a client's premises is an employee of that client and thus entitled to state benefits.

Absurd.

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here