Saturday, September 03, 2005

America the Generous

While we can sit here and bash every level of government all day and all night long, regular Americans are doing what they always do when the chips are down: They are rallying and getting things done. A quick survey of Craigslist gives you a feel for the ways in which average Americans are responding to Katrina:

Free Housing for katrina victims-Mesa arizona
Reply to:
XXX@yahoo.comDate: 2005-09-03, 5:57PM CDTWould like to open my home to an ederly women or a mother and child. I have a fully furnished room with a full bath. My family and i would like to help!!God bless you!!! For any info please call xxx-xxx-xxxx (we will also let a dog stay).

WILL MAKE PHONE CALLS
Reply to:
xxx@craigslist.orgDate: 2005-09-03, 5:55PM CDTI'll make phone calls for you for free anywhere in U.S. Will call international too, although although I only speak English. Tell me the names and numbers of the people you want contacted. Tell me where you are, your status, if there's a way to reach you, and any message. We're all thinking of you.

Resumes Written for Katrina Job Seekers
If you have been displaced by Katrina and need help putting together a resume and/or cover letter (or other written materials) I can help. I'm a professional editor/writer in MA with experience in developing resumes. You can email me your information or let me know where I can call you. I can then email you the formatted resume as a Word or text document, or drop a copy in the mail to you at no cost. Will turn around requests on a first come, first serve basis as I'm able to.

Network Engineer--NYC
Reply to:
xxx@craigslist.orgDate: 2005-09-03, 6:22PM CDTI’m a network engineer. I can provide web/email hosting, servers, networks, really ANY TECH SERVICES.

CDL Driver/Carpenter Quitting Day Job to Help On Gulf Coast
While others are enjoying their Labor Day weekend, I'm busy trying to find a way to get myself to the New Orleans area with a truckload of food, water, medicine, and clothing, and so that I can help in the recovery from this terrible disaster. I’ve spent the past few days thinking about what I can do to help and I’ve made a decision. I’m quitting the day job, putting the small amount of personal belongings that I have into storage, and heading off to the New Orleans area to help in the aid and relief efforts that are beginning to take place. There I’ll stay until my help there is no longer needed. This may be 6 months, a year, or possibly even several years, which is fine by me. I’m making this commitment 100%. I have items listed on eBay for auction with proceeds of the sale going to the Red Cross. The first item is a Jackson Kelly guitar and the second is a Behringer BX-600 bass amplifier. The auctions have a Red Cross donation embedded into the listing. I also have my surfboard listed for sale in the sporting goods category of the Providence, RI craigslist (for local pickup only, very difficult to ship).

I would like to volunteer
Reply to:
xxx@craigslist.orgDate: 2005-09-03, 6:21PM CDT I want to volunteer my time in any way possible. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. P.S. If needed I can travel.

Able bodied vounteer ready to help
Reply to: xxx@craigslist.orgDate: 2005-09-03, 6:15PM CDT Does anyone know of any organizations needing help anywhere? I am willing to fly to Texas, Louisiana, Tennesee, or any other place where I may be of aid. I am a college student who has served as an RA and has already gone through Crisis Relief classes. I am also in the process of getting trained with the Red Cross for Disaster Relief and I will be done in the next few days. If anyone knows of anyway to help please let me know. Thank you so much.


...and on it goes.

Be sure to do your part.



No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here