Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Loathing America vs. loathing its policies

In this polarized moment in history we hear an awful lot of false distinctions being drawn.

My personal favorite is "I oppose the war, but support the troops." This is Michael Moore's untenable position, I think, if you've seen F 9/11. As if one could oppose a mission but support the instruments of its execution! So given that physical and logical impossibility, what this translates to is "I hope no Americans die." OK, well, I supported the war and I can honestly say I hoped that no Iraqis would die. So where does that leave us? Nowhere. It's rhetorical air spouted by those who recognize the frailty of their own position.

Another one we hear is "I don't hate America. I love America. I just hate its policies." I often hear this one from the folks who talk about all the questioning of patriotism that goes on. (By the way, where IS all that commentary? All that patriotism questioning? I see some, but not very much). OxBlog provides us with some thoughts on this strawman using this quote as a teaser:

There is nothing patriotic about hating your country or pretending that you can love your country but despise your Government.

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here