Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Funny stuff I'd forgotten

Galley Slaves has an argument going on about the relative funny-ness of John Candy's movie career. Victorino Matus references Candy's performance as Freddy in Splash (older brother to Tom Hanks' character Allen), specifically his first scene where he proudly points out that he's now officially published! It's a letter in Penthouse, but published none the less!

Which prompted me to take a trip in my way-back machine to March 1984...

I saw Splash as part of a film-class my freshman year of college. I vaguely recalled Hanks from Bosom Buddies, but familiar or not it was obvious that he was a star-in-the-making! I spent months quoting this movie to and with friends. Sadly, over the course of the last 21 years I don't recall all that I thought so funny at the time. But one has stood out across the years as the funniest for me:

Hanks "rents" a boat for a trip to Nantucket, which amounts to a small dingy with an outboard motor and a very fat, un-ship-shape-looking pilot. The motor dies and the pilot of this boat jumps into the water:

Allen: "Where you going Mr. Fat Jack?"
Pilot: "I'll swim back to shore and get the little boat."
Allen: "The little boat!?"

As for Candy, I think he's even better later in the show when quoting Swedish stag-films while impersonating a famous Swedish oceanographer. But that's just me...

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here