Thursday, March 03, 2005

Numbers and stuff

Last night my wife and I were watching a movie and were interrupted by a phone call. A friend of my wife's from California was making a promised call-back and they spoke for about 40 minutes. In the meantime, I was left with the dogs and the VCR remote...

So being me, I started flipping around. Being the geek that I am, I settled on the replay of Alan Greenspan's testimony yesterday to the House Budget Committee. I didn't catch the whole thing, but a couple of things really jumped out at me:

  1. In 2008, spending on social-net programs (SS, Medicare) will grow to 8% of GDP.
  2. By 2030, that share will grow to 13% of GDP.

It stuck out because numerous times I've read my good friend Space on the verge of an aneurysm discussing the evils of the Defense budget. Which, by the way, only constitutes about 3-4% of GDP. And isn't guaranteed an automatic increase from year-to-year.

No comments:

  • Better Living: Thoughts from Mark Daniels
  • Evangelical Outpost
  • One Hand Clapping
  • Camp Katrina
  • TPMCafe
  • Dodger Thoughts
  • Boy of Summer
  • Irish Pennants
  • tabletalk
  • Fire McCain
  • My Sandmen
  • Galley Slaves
  • Michelle Malkin
  • myelectionanalysis
  • Iraq the Model
  • Mystery Pollster
  • A Bellandean! God, Country, Heritage
  • Right Truth
  • The Fourth Rail
  • Counterterrorism Blog
  • Just One Minute
  • Broken Masterpieces
  • Kudlow's Money Politic$
  • Econopundit
  • Tapscott's Copy Desk
  • The Blue State Conservatives
  • Palousitics
  • Christian Conservative
  • Outside the Beltway
  • The Belmont Club
  • Froggy Ruminations
  • The Captain's Journal
  • Argghh!!!
  • Chickenhawk Express
  • Confederate Yankee
  • Reasoned Audacity
  • Taking Notes
  • ThisDamnBlog
  • Three Knockdown Rule
  • Dogwood Pundit
  • Dumb Looks Still Free
  • Unfettered Blather
  • Cut to the Chase
  • Alabama Improper
  • Austin Bay Blog
  • Michael Yon-Online
  • The Trump Blog
  • A Lettor of Apology
  • GM Fastlane Blog


  • Powered by Blogger

    Listed on BlogShares Who Links Here